Thursday, August 04, 2005

I am feeling really high!

I am super high today! Oh boy, head rush!!!

1. Extremely fruitful day at work

I was actually busy, all the way till 5.30pm. Started to flow with the Americans at my workplace. Learnt to make causal chats with my colleagues and skilfully retrieve vital information or get "helps" from them. Geneva, a manager from QA Dept is my angel at work. She brought me around meeting "key" people that would be able to assist me in my projects and just 15 mins, I got all that I need. Key people to get input from, nuggets of info to manuvere my way around, special grants to allow me access to some of the systems and even a possibility for me to move my desk to another side of the company. That's efficiency baby!

2. Visited a Toastmasters (TM) Club this evening

Definitely an act of courage for me. Imagine an Asian Chinese visiting a club he doesn't know of, interacting with a group of people who are already proficient in speaking (with a cool Amercian accent) and doing it ALL BY MYSELF... But I did. Without getting lost. One brownie point for myself!

And boy, it was definitely an eye opener for me. The club was held in a hotel, 45th floor overlooking the entire Philadelphia City. They are fairly friendly (not as warm as some clubs I visit in S'pore) and I got to meet a nurse, a stand up comedian, an artist, two TV producers and a few IT professionals (whom I am starting to respect ever since I work at StarCite) I would definitely come back again next Wed and probably sign up as a member. I have a wild aspiration. To take part in the Evaluation and Speech Contest. And the fun thing is I will be competing with Americans. Who knows, I might be lucky. But then again it would be a super duper great experience to rub shoulders with some of the top speakers.

3. Met this really talented stand up comedian, his name is Avish.

This is one of the main motivation for joining the club. He is also a member for an Improv Club in Temple Uni. (think Who's Line is it Anyway?) And I was thinking of joining to brush up my wit and probably have a fighting chance to be a stand up comedian in S'pore. Or probably be one in States. Ooh, the Asian Boy with a Singlish Accent or something like that. Ok, I am dreaming.. but isnt that what I do best. Except I am gonna make this one come true.

4. Have a social life (finally) - kind of, I think

As I was walking home, I was thrilled coz I am not at home slacking. I am out there making friends, learning & growing. I know it is nothing great. Just a club. But hey it is a start! Hopefully I would get to meet more locals here and start clubbing too. Or stay over at a friend's place or something. That would be so fun! But I got to keep myself in check. I have the tendency to fill up my schedule and life here would be no different from the one I have in S'pore. Bleah!

5. Rented three funny comedies

Haha. For the kick of it. Monty Python's Flying Circus (keep hearing it in ECI community), Chris Rock Comedy and Deuce Bigalow, Male Gigolo (to prepare me for the part 2 in Europe!)

6. Know this sweet chinese girl, Jasmine

Finally a chinese not from my NOC gang. *grin* And she majors in IS too - how cool is that!

7. Got a few more recommendations of places to visit this weekend

A few museums to visit and we would probably be cycling down Kelli Drive too. It's along the river. And I heard it has pretty good sceneries. Will take pics if I am going there this weekend.

8. I am really hungry now and we r going to throw a surprise b'day party for Jaron who stays upstairs. So I would have chocolate hot fudge for supper. Gonna have TWO big slices - yum yum!

9. Outing at Hard Rock Cafe tomorrow evening. Picnic Friday evening. And then weekend. It just gets better!

10. And finally during the impromptu session in TM, I left my audience with a fairly good impression... Nothing fancy but still, good... So proud of myself.

"It's not the big things you do that made you an angel... It's the small things you do for people that made you their angel..."

What a day! *yawns*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home