Thursday, August 18, 2005

I din know I have it in me...

Claustrophobia is an anxiety disorder that involves the fear of enclosed or confined spaces. Claustrophobes may suffer from panic attacks in situations such as being in elevators, trains or aircraft. Conversely, people who are prone to having panic attacks will often develop claustrophobia. If a panic attack occurs while they are in a confined space then they will be unable to escape the situation.

I din know I have it in me.

I was on my way home after an evening of Toastmasters. Taking the elevator from the 47th floor, I happily chatted with some new-found friends. And made an innocent comment "Din know they make the elevators slow for the senior citizens as well...How thoughtful of them. Imagine if it stops halfway" (laughs)

(Shortly) "Urm... why is the lift not moving?"

It was that moment we realize we are stuck!

At first, it was just nervous laughter.
Then mambo jambo sentences.
Followed by silent prayers.

"How long are we going to be stuck here?" I asked.

"I was stuck for 5 hrs last month... but don't worry they will get it fixed." a 60 over yr old residents replied.

"Let's try the emergency phone" another suggested.

It was a spark of hope which died as fast as it came. There was no phone in the emergency box.

I nearly fainted.

All of a sudden, I felt light-headed... like I was floating. Then I felt a pressure over my chest. Quick breaths.

"Please.... I don't want to die..." I muttered to myself.

And before I make any more embarrassment to myself, I thought I heard the sound of an angel.

"Is anyone inside? We are going to open the door."

Shortly, we were rescued.

Din they say NOC was a life changing experience. You bet! I don't think I am going to take any more elevators in a short while.

Quick question, how long does it take to climb 16 flights of stairs everyday? And 47 flight of stairs every alternate Wed? I might have to wake up a bit earlier. Damm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home