Tuesday, March 21, 2006

I am a sucker for limelight

Man, it has been a looong time since I have updated my blog. Sorry about it (I really wonder if anyone is reading it anyway haha). It has been a really fulfilling 2 wks. A lot has happened. I guess the most memorable one would be the Acapella Summit that I attended last weekend. It was a weekend full of singing, jamming and schmoozing with the up and coming singers. At one point, I felt like their groupie. Rushing to get their autographs and snap pics with them. Haha. What an experience. I bet they must be feeling so good about themselves. But I have them to thank. They re-ignited my passion for singing in particular acapella. Learnt a lot from their workshops too. Interestingly a lot that the experts taught about singing can be applied into public speaking. In fact, I got a couple of fresh ideas which I will share in a later blog. Can't wait for xxx in June (secret!!!) Probably I am just a sucker for limelight. (Will post some pics and probably videos soon)

The international speech contest has started again and tis the season to win some trophies again hehe. I was quite lucky in the area contest. Swept two first prize trophies for the International Speech Contest and Evaluation Contest. BUT... it was a close fight. VERY CLOSE. I guess the judges played a huge part. The crowd may love u but if the judge is biased to a certain style of speech making, you can jolly well not win. During the area contest, I won by just one point. That was how lucky I was. Only goes to show that I still have a looong way to go. But well, that's the fun of it. My dream is to ONE DAY be the first asian to get into the finals. So far, none has gone that far. The closest was the regional contest. I am soooo gonna play this game!! And win it of coz.

Come to think of it, preparation for this contest has been shamefully lacking. My script was ready at the very last min. (the day before the contest). But I was not nervous at all. In fact, I was very excited to get on stage and do my thing. I just wanted to soak up the atmosphere and charm the audience. The adrenalin rush prior to the speech was addictive. The energy during the 7 mins delivery was overwhelming. And the anticipation for the results was heartstopping. How can anyone NOT enjoy public speaking, particularly competing... I guess I am just a sucker for limelight. Not sure how far this contest is gonna take me. But I am very sure I am going to have loads and loads of fun! Wish me luck peeps.

Promise to upload some pics soon. Meanwhile, chill!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home