Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Choices

Life is all about choices, isn't it? Each choice takes you to another set of choices. And the cycle goes. Yet we can all take comfort in the knowledge that no matter what choices we made, we will always be on the path that we are suppose to be.

Tonight was one such moment. Had dinner with my boss and mentor, CH Low, together with Kelly and Rex. We wanted to pick his brain on a venture idea we had. We were expecting this to be a conversation about the market, the value proposition etc. Instead, he sent us in disarray with his first question - Why do you want to do this? We stumbled... and tried to answer his question. Change the world? Urm... there is a market need blah blah blah.

More questions came along. How much time can you put into this? How committed are you? What's going to motivate you? Are you in the right position to pursue this potential opportunity. On a sidenote, he testified that what we presented was intriguing and investors would want to put money in. "There is potential," he says. In fact, he told us as a matter of fact, that if we do not pursue it, he will.

But the real lesson boils down to a reality check. Starting out is NOT easy. It is NOT as glamorous as people think. And tonight I got to experience the reality. I may have to commit five years of my time in his venture. Am I willing to do that? Am I willing to take a paycut to pursue this venture that on paper, looks good? What's going to keep me going?

CH made his choice. And he went through five start-ups. Some failed. Some worked pretty well. And from living in a $99/mth rental room, he is now living in a $1 million house. Our conversation ended with a drive aruond the neigbourgood. Those houses were really huge and I wonder if I would ever own one? I guess part of me wants to be able to enjoy these riches. Yet I know there is something even more valuable that money...

Choices. I hate it when I am tempted with golden opportunities like this esp. when I THINK I know what I want to do. Planning to sleep on it. I want to change the world. I want to awaken humanity (however u interpret it). And somehow I don't see how this venture can help me realize that dream of mine, except that I could make it big (after all the sweat and MORE sweat). And this dream of mine is NOT easy either. In fact it is going to be an arduous journey. Am I willing to sacrifice the big bucks to pursue this dream, with nothing but resilence and faith?

Hmm.. come to think of it. I had this conversation almost 9 months ago. On the last night at Kelvin's place. Right after CCI.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

my dear, u already made your decision, isn't it? prob you need assurance in the decision you made. temptation... but what do you want ultimately? Does this path have heart? Choose powerfully. :)

whatever choice you made, be sure i'm in support of u no matter what. :)

Love ya! *muackZz!

5:03 AM  
Blogger Tripp said...

THANK YOU! :)

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home