Wednesday, June 14, 2006

A Moment of Truth

Phew... been quite a week. Thought I should write a bit before I get on the phone with my gf. (grins) Life just threw me a curved ball. In fact just a couple of minutes ago. May sound really trivial to most of you but it means something to me. A month ago, I signed a writer's authorization letter with Toastmasters International to publish an article which they liked a lot: Treading on the Fine Line of Humor. It was scheduled to be published to over 211,000 readers globally this July and I was planning to leverage on the publicity to drive traffic to my public speaking blog. It was suppose to be part of my bigger plan. However, I received an email a while ago with some bad news.

"Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. We are not running your article on "The Fine Line of Humor" in the July issue. On closer reading, I thought it wasn't balanced, and the political comments about President Bush could be construed as endorsed by TI."

Anyway... it just dawned upon me that the curved balls that life throws at you are necessary. It makes life much less predictable, yet much more exciting. Imagine if everything works out as planned, it would be soooo boring. But I have to admit that I am not too used to having curved balls thrown my way. Gotta learn to get used to the fact that things don't always worked out as planned. On a brighter note, this will make me treasure what I have, especially the things that I fought to own.

Strangely this mini manifesto ties in very well with what CH, my mentor in StarCite, has reminded me today.

GIVE YOURSELF PERMISSION TO FALL COZ YOU LEARN THE MOST WHEN YOU FAIL.

Definitely an advice I need to heed. It is in my nature (or perhaps my nurturing) to make safe choices. I would do everything I can to make sure I succeed. It is not a bad thing but sometimes it prevents me from taking the necessary risks and denies me from learning critical lessons. As a result, I would mull over small things like my article not being selected instead of investing time in bigger things.

Perhaps it is time to remove my knee guards, take some risks and see what life has to teach.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

hugz!

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home